the night i almost killed us

i woke up sunday morning at 5 am, odd since i never get up before 10 if i can help it.

i had this weird cough.  it wasn't like a cold cough.  no.  it was like something had crawled down my throat and taken up residence in my larynx.  trying to dislodge it (gross word i know) i coughed and hacked but nothing worked. i decided to guzzle the flat half empty can of diet doctor pepper on my bedside table.

bad idea.

what is it about the combination of hacking up a lung and  flat pop that mades you feel like you are going to upchuck (to quote ramona quimby age 8)?  so i went into the bathroom and laid down on the cold hard floor and stayed there for a couple of hours until the alarm went off and mike got up to get ready for church.

while he was in the shower i stood in the kitchen trying to decide which would do less harm: a glass of water or making myself puke. 

and then i saw it.

the stove was on.  it had been on all night--cooking the pan i'd used to warm up our gross low carb tortillas the night before.  thank goodness the only damage was to our lungs.  we estimate i took about 50 minutes off our lives since breathing in a smoking pot all night is the equivalent of about 5 years of chain smoking.

my throat is fine today.  my pride? not so much.


Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Mercedes... EVERYONE has cooked an empty pan at least once. Right?!!?

Did you get my email? I'd love to have another skype chat one of these days.


Ann Marie said...

sooooo glad you're alive!!! that was close ;)

Abbie said...

OMG. That is the funniest thing (and scariest thing) ever! So glad you posted this. It gave me a good laugh to start my morning off with. :)

Bonnie White said...

I did something similar. I put the fresh cranberries in water to make a sauce and then got distracted for 40 minutes on the computer. I still can't get that pot clean. And I may need a lung transplant sooner than I thought too.

Louise Plummer said...

You're such a class act.

nathan said...

I did the same thing at your place in Sandy! I turned the gas on but it didn't get the burner, and it was on for about 30 minutes. George came down and was like, "Is everybody ok? I smelled gas!"

LiNds said...

This brings me back to Undergrad days and, ah! The burnt pot award! ;)